Forward Osmosis (FO) or just plain osmosis can be used for a wide variety of applications in many industries. Nature uses it extensively, but it’s only recently that real life, practical applications, have been developed or identified.
The Osmotic Engineering Team have played a key role in the development and application of a number of these processes. They have been responsible for the design, development and operation of plants in a wide variety of applications including the use of forward osmosis coupled with reverse osmosis. Multiple patents have been granted.
Osmotic Engineering can provide consulting engineering and business development services for forward osmosis and related processes based on a wide range of applications and industry sectors, including:
- Brine concentration
- Landfill leachate treatment
- Evaporative cooling make-up water
- Thermal desalination
We have substantial experience in forward osmosis and related fields and can offer the following services:
- Application review – is forward osmosis or a related process suitable
- Market analysis
- Process design and design review
- Membrane and equipment selection
- Operational support and analysis
- Sales and Marketing support
- Owners Engineer services
Our Team have been responsible for the design, construction and operation of many major forward osmosis based processes at full industrial scale including:
- Forward osmosis seawater desalination plant in Gibraltar, as featured on the BBC’s Horizon’s 50 year anniversary programme
- A 100 m3/day containerised seawater FO-RO desalination plant at Al Khaluf in Oman
- The 200 m3/day seawater FO-RO desalination plant at Al Najdah for the Public Authority for Electricty and Water, Oman
- FO for direct evaporative cooling tower make-up and a blow-down recovery system at a petrochemical site in Oman
- A 500 m3/day seawater FO-RO desalination plant in China
- Forward osmosis – reverse osmosis system for landfill leachate treatment, located in China
Please contact us for more information and to discuss your requirements.